4.22.2009

the sound of silence

i should have known better. i've experienced this moment before, but somehow i was distracted and the memory of it was not fresh enough in my mind. perhaps, i had tried to forget it.


the memory:

back in june of '06, a few months before ellie turned 2, i was happily in the kitchen making dinner for a friend of mine whom had just had a baby. i was going in and out to the grill and sweet 21 month old ellie was playing under foot, happily amusing herself. i distinctly remember pausing and thinking "this is the life"! i was thrilled with the entire scenario- the opportunity to cook a yummy dinner, the ability to gift someone with a hassle free dinner at a time when they needed it, a sweet happy babe, a sunny day... it was a complete package moment. i can remember looking at the clock thinking that i had to kick it into high gear in order to get the meal delivered in time. i began to hurry around packing up each of the dishes and placing them into the shopping bag. at this moment miss e began to wander a little bit out of the kitchen. i glanced at her to discover that she was examining the contents of my handbag. i glanced a little closer and all looked good. she was just taking everything out and then putting it back in.

cool... back to the finishing touches. i ran out to the grill to remove the grilled meat and returned to the kitchen to package it up. quickly, it dawned on me that it was TOO quiet. i turned around to look for e and didn't see her. i had that moment where i just knew trouble was around the corner.

sure enough, the bathroom door was closed and my makeup bag was outside the door.



1 tube of lipstick + curious toddler = crime scene



i knew in that moment that someday this would make me laugh. it wasn't going to be right now but something told me that in a few years i would look back and laugh at the lipstick smeared all over the bathroom and that it would make me smile as i remembered my sweet baby e.
today was that day. but it didn't happen quite the way i had imagined it would.
as i was hustling out the door to get to a 9am mops meeting, the phone rang. normally i would have let the machine get it, but something prompted me to look at the caller id. sure enough, it was an attorney handling some stuff dealing with my mom. i took the call. mid-call, i got that same eerie feeling that things in my house were just a wee bit too quiet.
miss d had found my secret stash of sharpie markers and had decorated her entire head and face. i didn't have time to take a picture as we had to get out the door and somehow a baby wipe managed to instantly remove all traces of ink. but it made me think back to my sweet ellie and go in hunt of those pictures.
just as i suspected, it made me smile as i reflected on the lipstick incidence and those first few years where it was just ellie and i.



3 comments:

Busy Mama said...

Laugh out loud funny!!

Kate Wicker said...

Tab, I had no way of emailing you, but I wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog and for your warm and encouraging comment after my "Love Has No Limits" post.

God's providence never ceases to amaze me. He's busy at work even in the Blogosphere giving all of us moms a little pick-me-up just when we need it.

Oh, and that "sound of silence" can be dangerous, but your little one sure is cute.

God bless you in your vocation.

Unknown said...

i could cry! bittersweet type of funny...sigh. i miss you and your girls so much!