3.13.2008

KNEAD


ellie and i like to go to lunch, probably more often than we should. today we went downtown to check out a new sandwich/bakery shop that has just recently opened up. my friend steph told me it was great, and that was all i needed to hear.

it was delightful! i always love patronizing anything local. it allows me to feel like i am part of the pulse of our small town. and by choosing things close i am helping to ensure that our downtown stays vibrant- which is largely a part of what drew us to this area in the first place. anyways, we had a wonderful lunch. the place is called KNEAD and the menu is rather creative. they had the "stinkin' rose beef" (roasted beef, caramelized onion, stilton, greens on a baguette), "tied up in knots" (ham, honey mustard, cheddar cheese, red onion, tomato, on a pretzel roll), and my personal favorite, "pistol on whiskey" (pastrami on rye with horseradish, mayo & mustard). if you come visit me, i can pretty much guarantee that this is where i'll be takin' you to lunch.

ellie and i decided to sit at the counter. we sat, we chatted about her day at school, we discussed sandwiches (the panini press was right in front of us), and we watched a girl poach eggs. if you know me, you know i don't do much egg poaching, so this was the only glimpse my girl might get at this culinary skill. after we lunched (and delaney napped), we had a chat with the chef.

chef: so ladies, how was your lunch today?
e: (with a mouth full of cookie) very good.
me: ellie, he is the man that makes the sandwiches. you know, the chef. (ellie could care less. then she thinks about it for a minute. the man walks away to flip a sandwich of something.)
e: (very quietly, almost inaudibly) where's his hat?
me & chef: what? (we both think that we've heard her, but want to be sure.)
e: (louder this time and with more conviction) where's his hat?
chef: (looks at me as if to say, you're the mom. you field this one.)
e: chefs are supposed to have hats. i have a chef hat in my kitchen.
me: (i explain that not all chefs wear hats.)
chef: do you want to bring in your hat sometime and help me make some cookies?
e: i have two already.
chef: two what? two kitchens? (it is as if he had heard our chat about the red pottery barn kitchen.)
e: no, cookies. i have two cookies in my kitchen.

the chef went back to making his sandwiches, ellie went back to eating her cookie, and i was smiling from ear to ear.

if you call me at lunchtime and can't reach me at home, chances are, we're at KNEAD. and now that i'm thinking about it, we might have to buy the man a hat.

No comments: