4.17.2008

a blast from the past


today our adventure was to travel a little ways south of us and check out the historic district of orland park. there is a block of many antique stores to peruse. believe it or not, ellie really likes antique stores. she has specific things that she hunts for and then plays with them using great care to be gentle.
growing up my grandparents owned an antique shop. it was their hobby to carry them through the retirement phase of life. they traveled to several shows across the country and then ran a shop that was attached to their garage. as a little girl this was part of my play space when visiting them. i can remember going out to the shop and playing store with my sisters and cousins. i gravitated towards the jewelry case trying on fancy rings and pocket watches. i can't explain what it was, but holding a pocket watch was magical to me. something about the silkiness of the metal and the weight of the piece while you help time in the palm of your hand. i can't explain it, but it was special to me.
taking my girls into a replica of my childhood play space feels like a right of passage to me and i adore watching ellie enjoy this as much as i did. i hope that it continues for years to come. it was also fun to watch my mom in her hunt. she loves antique stores, too. every time she visits she is on a hunt for something specific. last year it was a bedside wooden turned candle, this year it was a transfer plate. she found what she was looking for, so our trip was a success.

No comments: