4.14.2008

grand dukes

yesterday we spent the afternoon watching the masters. it made me miss georgia even more than i already do. here is ellie perfecting her golf skills and getting tips from the pros.









in addition, my mom is visiting from virginia. she makes the trip about once a year and when she comes she makes me be a tourist in chicago. she is always up for new adventures and allows me to see my city with fresh eyes as I take in new experiences. my mom's mother was an immigrant from lithuania. scott and i recently saw an episode on check please! (a local restaurant review show) featuring lithuanian cuisine. it looked pretty tasty and looked like something sandy (my mom) would LOVE. to kick off the week with my mom, we went there for dinner last night. it was very authentic and incredibly delicious.






my mom tried the roasted beet soup and the pork stuffed cabbage, scott had the authentic lithuanian plate (it featured sauerkraut, zeppelins, fried potato sausage and kugelis ), and i had the wild boar wrapped in bacon. ellie had a grilled cheese:) in addition, my mom had a glass of lithuanian sparkling wine, while scott and i sampled the beer. we were so full that we did not indulge in dessert.

the menu was rich with text concerning lithuanians and their eating habits. here are two of the sayings that i found to be funny:

"why did god create potatoes?" " so poor people would have something to peel the skin off of."

"if you ate some beet soup and some bread with bacon, then you will have the strength to work hard."

No comments: