9.30.2009

grrr

my aunt sharon visited san francisco last summer (before we had any clue we might be moving here). i remember vividly listening to her tell me about her trip and thinking that it sounded like so much fun. one story stands out in my mind a little bit more than the rest.


my aunt told me about the san francisco bushman. the bushman is a panhandler that is famous around the city. he sneaks around various tourist hot spots and sits on a milk crate. in front of his face he holds up tree branches and then he waits for unsuspecting tourists to walk by. as they approach him, he pops out from behind his branches and growls at them. in return for his success at scaring them, they give him a buck or two. the other people who catch him in the act of scaring someone usually pitch him some change too.

there is some speculation that he makes a lot of money doing this and that he isn't homeless. but i don't care, i think this is a way more fun way to make a living. it is creative and puts a smile on people's faces, which in my opinion is far more valuable than lots of other jobs this guy could have. i think it shows that he has a sense of adventure and that he knows how to face adversity with a positive attitude, a "make lemonade" kind of guy. i like that.

i was telling scott about this dude last weekend. he didn't believe me.

and then he did.

No comments: