7.21.2008

the harvest




yep! i grew that cucumber. it was delicious. i think the coolest part of my garden is going out to check on it every day with ellie. we walk out there and try to find the most recent additions. she loves gently turning back the leaves in search of a bloom turning into a baby "pickle". she gets so excited!
"momma, a pickle right there. see? under this leaf!"
last week, when we discovered a full grown cucumber, she was thrilled to pick it. she wanted to eat it right away, but i thought it best to save it for dinner. daddy is a fan of the garden and he might have been sad to miss out on our cucumber. i also must admit that my lack of faith in my gardening skills, rodents, etc. have me thinking (in spite of my thousands of blooms) that this might be the only veggie our little garden produces.
and so for dinner, we all ate some of our first cucumber. it was the best cucumber that i have ever had!






1 comment:

Sharon said...

Yeah more pictures!! Congrats on your first "pickle"! I love your food artistry too! When I pick herbs or harvest anything from our garden I feel connected to women down thru the ages going out to their kitchen gardens with big wide aprons to gather a harvest for dinner.